Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Are “Smartphones” dumbing down our communication?

Recently I joined four successful friends for lunch. I remember what I ordered –sweet potato fries. I don't remember much about what was discussed at the table. There was very little four-way conversation.

At any given moment, one of us was answering incoming calls, surfing Facebook or reading emails. I might have concluded we are just a group of colossal bores, but I am seeing the same scene played out at other tables anytime I am in a restaurant. I see it during meetings. I see it when people are on the treadmill or out walking their dogs.

Don't get me wrong; the Smartphone is a genius invention. How did we live without it? We can check out restaurant menus in seconds. We can send pictures to grandma in minutes. No need to get lost anymore, thanks to the navigation system. Heck, when we're bored, that voice is company! “In 800 feet, turn left.” Love it.

Isn't it also great that our bosses can now reach us 24/7? We can pick up dropped balls. We can stay plugged in while we're on vacation. Wonderful.

Smartphones and social media are double edged swords: they put us in touch with long lost “friends” and make us instantly accessible to colleagues who are miles away.

The downside is that it is suddenly PC to disconnect with the people you're physically with, so that you can connect with someone else. What is wrong with this picture? If we buy into that culture, we could be settling for superficial business and personal relationships, while we lose connectivity with those who really matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment